To create multiple requests for the same address, new requests can be made at the confirmation page from the previous request.
Request animal related services including dead animal removal, loose or confined animals.
Park facility and field maintenance, trash and cleanliness issues, security and park tree/animal/bug issues
Report a Private Property Violation, Request a Private Property Inspection
Report graffiti or issues with streetlights
Public Right-of-Way includes streets, sidewalks, parkways and alleys; violations may include the following: Illegal-Auto Repair, Construction, Discharge of Water, Excavation, Sign Removal; Leaf Blower Violation; News Rack Violation; Non-Compliant Vending; Obstructions-building materials, dumpster/construction bins, lane closures, trash cans, newsstand; Tables and Chairs; Report Water Waste
Bulky item, Containers, Electronic waste, Metal / household appliances, Illegal dumping, Service not complete and etc
Bulky Item fee, Extra capacity charge, Solid resource fee and Sewer Service Charge Adjustments. For recycLA billing issues, go to or call the Customer Care Center at 1-800-773-2489.
Barricade Removal, Bus Pad/Landing, Curb Repair, Flooding, General Street Inspection (i.e. StreetsLA Public Toilets), Guard/Warning Rail Maintenance, Gutter Repair, Land/Mudslide, Pothole, Sidewalk Repair and Street Sweeping
To be used to report issues related to Traffic control devices, Parking services, Roadway safety, Parking Device maintanance, Permit, Development, Dockless Mobility Enforcement, For-Hire Vehicle related violations, and etc...
Bees or beehive, Median island maintenance, Overgrown vegetation/plants, Palm fronds down, Street tree inspection, Street tree violations, Tree emergency, Tree obstruction, Tree permits and Weed abatement for pvt parcels
To be used ONLY if the issue being reported does not fit into any of the SR Types available on this list. Select Radio buttons above to see more SR Types.